Let me just say that if I could have children and never have to go through the process of potty training I could live with that. I can handle teething, ear infections, changing diapers, being thrown up on but I 100% despise potty training!
You know some people say, "oh girls are easy to potty train" and others say "oh no, boys are so much easier to potty train"....well so far I am going with the assumption that it sucks to potty train both.
Madelyn was by far (well so I thought) the most stubborn person to potty train. It was awful. She knew how to do it, knew what she was doing, and decided to just refuse to go. So when she turned 3 years old, I flat out told her she was not wearing diapers anymore.....so that day she decided that she better listen to her mother...and I guess from there it got easier. That was 7 years ago, and I prayed that when I had more kids that the next one would be easier to potty train. Everyone told me it would be easier because I had already been through it once. Well that praying didn't work and those people were WRONG!!!
Now Marshall...I love the kid, there is no denying that, however that child has a mind of his own. We discovered this the day that I was supposed to be induced for him to arrive...he, I guess in his mind, was thinking he should just stay in there longer because he definitely did not cooperate! I have always known that Marshall would be one to do things in his own time, in his own stubborn way, but I never thought that potty training that child would be such a drawn out process!!
I can honestly say that I think we began this process a year ago, when he was 2 1/2 years old, he showed some interest and we got the underwear and the potty and attempted. That didn't last long, so we decided to delay, every now and then he would show a little interest and we would try again...but then he would always refuse to wear the underwear and literally lay in the floor screaming and crying because I took his diaper away. A few times we would try and at random months he would decide to pee in the potty...and everytime I got my hopes up thinking, "Oh this is it!" Well it for sure wasn't. Finally we decided that this summer was going to be it. I would be home with the boys and this kid was going to go pee in that potty and be potty trained. I prepared him and told him that there would be NO more diapers for him...of course he argued with me for weeks. I am finally happy to report after a year of discouragement and stubborness that we are on the road to success!! This week he has worn underwear everyday and only had 3 accidents! He is making progress slowly but surely and is becoming more proud of his accomplishment. We still have a long way to go but at least we are only down to one child in diapers!
I only can hope that Garrett will be the best one to potty train...surely I deserve one easy one!!! Here's to wishful hoping!
No comments:
Post a Comment